Voice your opinions/concerns regarding online forum trading

Want to trade with other members or just post your want-list? Do it here!

Why do you think Online Trading is down, or why do you not trade online?

Too many bad experiences
4%
Too expensive on shipping options/tracking hassle
26%
Prefer to trade in person
3%
I only bust & sell to fund more breaks
4%
I don't trust anyone/Too risky to mail
2%
Can't come to terms on values (BV vs SV/eBay)
25%
Too many unrealistic/lowball traders (they want Cup for Artifacts)
23%
Don't like the rules (Must Send First, etc)
1%
Other
11%

Total votes: 209

bqaggie

Member of the Year
Medals: 8
eBay ID: bqaggie
United States of America

Voice your opinions/concerns regarding online forum trading

Post by bqaggie » Thu May 12, 2016 10:44 am

This site's foundation is the members who make up our online community. YOU. Our members keep this site going. Our members are the reason why we do what we do. Our members have a voice as to what breaks we run, product praises & criticisms, as well as overall togetherness of our community.

It's been a concerning sign that over the last 6-8 months, we've seen a rather sharp, if not alarming, decline in online trading. Our Trading forums used to routinely boast of 10-14 pages of trading threads & wantlists. We now see it down to 4. Other forums are not immune to it either. HI used to have a steady run of 14-20 trading pages, and now they're down to about 6-8 at any given time.

So, here's your opportunity to voice your opinions, frustrations or concerns as to why we're seeing a decline in online trading. For the record, trading means exactly what you think it means. While we understand that the astronomical increase in price of shipping to Canada may be a factor, it certainly cannot be the only thing. We also understand that most collectors refuse to comply with eBay's Global Shipping Program, but then again eBay is a whole different animal and doesn't apply to our forums, much less the basis for this thread which is TRADING...not SELLING.

Again, please let us know what you think has caused such a halt to online trading & interacting with your fellow forum members. No topic will be considered taboo since we want to hear your voices/opinions. The only thing we ask is that you keep your opinions and posts civil. No swearing, calling out of specific members, etc. You can post specific details if you've experienced some bad trades, but no names. Or simply cast a vote if you choose to remain anonymous.

You can choose 4 of the 9 options.

GO!
I COLLECT: Modano, Seguin, Benn, SP Authentic
CLICK TO FOLLOW: YouTube / Twitter / My Bucket
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

Whoop
Semistar
Canada

Re: Voice your opinions/concerns regarding online forum trad

Post by Whoop » Thu May 12, 2016 11:11 am

I think a lot of it has to do with the product(s) themselves.

For instance, if I buy a box of Artifacts I might get 2-3 hits. Unless you have someone who is looking to finish a base set for example your base cards are essentially worthless. Even if you get a nice patch card, or a jersey card or numbered card, unless there is someone here who is a specific player collector the odds of you moving the card are slim. So if I get a nice patch card of say Marian Hossa there might not be anyone interested in that card. So either you sit on it hoping someone will trade for it or you throw it up on eBay and someone buys it.

I think the same goes for a lot of other products out there.

The most trading action I get is during Series 1 and Series 2 releases. Or for a release like OPC Platinum.

Sometimes if someone has a card I really like it's usually just easier to buy the card than work out a trade.
PC - John Tavares, Chris Tierney
Tradelist -

thefishman
Unlisted Star
Canada

Post by thefishman » Thu May 12, 2016 11:12 am

My LCS told me demand is down huge from what he thought it would be considering the McDavid hype. Believes the prices are just too much for collectors right now (especially when factoring in the exchange) and that has lead to a) people buying less to begin with, and b) people being forced to sell their breaks to recoup costs either to pay for the box or to buy more.

I used to bust a crap load of wax...can't justify it now. I mean it's always been gambling, but there's just so little actual dollar value in the products right now if you don't hit that one or two "hit" rookies. You can tell me all you want about having to ignore value in this hobby, but with the pricing what it is right now on wax, value cannot be ignored. Most people cant drop a few hundred bucks on a box only to get back 30-40 in ebay sale value. Whether busting for enjoyment or other reasons, that's not just a bad investment, it's a tough way to even justify spending some entertainment money. Since I believe more people are realizing this, less people are buying wax and therefore less trading.

Another possible reason: I would wager the majority of boxes now are broken by group breakers....these people give buyers a chance to only have to buy "their team" and are therefore possibly more likely to hold onto their spoils. Plus, group breaks gives the consumer another choice - instead of spending $200 on a box that will likely all end up as traders, they can now buy a few spots in group breaks of their choice and end up with more cards they are more likely to hang on to.

I dunno. IMO, this issue is part of a much larger issue in the hobby....I love the hobby for a lot of reasons, but I'm also having a little deja-vu from the early 90's. Upper Deck needs to be careful.
SPECIAL THANKS TO SYNNISTERART® FOR THE BANNER
Collecting: Drew Doughty, Daniel Paille and Bryan Berard

sabresman31
Unlisted Star
eBay ID: aurora3527
United States of America

Post by sabresman31 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:14 am

I chose "other." I haven't been trading much because of school and work. I don't have as much time anymore to search through tradelists and negotiate then eventually go to the post office as I used to. I don't expect to be this to last for long though, I'll probably be more active over the Summer.
Major PC: Jhonas Enroth & Dominik Hasek
Minor PC: Ryan Miller & Daniel Briere
Photobucket

urbanmonk

Member of the Year
Medals: 2
eBay ID: tccurbanmonk
United States of America

Post by urbanmonk » Thu May 12, 2016 11:52 am

Continual increases in shipping costs have curbed my Trading over the past couple years.
PC Modano Want list, Have List for FB PC, and Trade Lists: http://urbanmonkscards.weebly.com/

Main focus in Hockey is Mike Modano, have 1,402 of the 5,035 listed on Beckett

j2olson
Common
eBay ID: jason2olson
Canada

Post by j2olson » Thu May 12, 2016 1:01 pm

I think one of the main reasons is the collectors are getting more and more specific about what they collect. When I started collecting in the early 90's it was a lot more about a team than a specific player or even now specific player and type of card. The cost of shipping outside of each country (Canada to US and US to Canada) is another reason. You used to be able to make a deal any where in those two countries and know it would cost less than $2.00 to ship now you have to be dealing with larger dollar values to make the shipping cost effective.

Me personally collecting certain players (Jake Virtanen) it makes it difficult to make trades unless I am open to getting other traders in trade. Then I have to try and trade those for other Virtanen's that I need. If you don't have a trade list full of the latest and greatest product it seems no one has the time to talk to you. I haven't opened a lot of boxes lately but I do have a very extensive trade list from the past 10 years or so. Because I am looking for current product it seems no one wants to look at my trade list because I don't have 15-16 product in it.

Time is another factor, it does take a lot of time to create tradelists, scan cards, discuss deals, make final detail, mail items out, etc. Compared to hitting buy it now or bid on EBAY and wait for card to show up. We all know most of us probably work more hours than we should and that can only take time out your hobbies. I did just purchase a case of OPC Platinum and it took me three evenings to open because I was too busy with other stuff. I used to sit at my computer for hours on end scouring the boards looking for trades and deals now it seems like I am too busy for that.

Again just my personal opinion but I do agree there has been a dramatic decline in forum activity. Younger generation will be upset with this comment but with today's world of I want I get now, trading seems to be too much work for most.

Have fun and thanks for posting the thread it is something that needs to be discussed.
PC Players:
Jake Virtanen, Martin Jones, Victor Rask, Michael Stone, Paul Postma, Chris Driedger, Brandon Kozun, Jake Bean, and any other Calgary Hitmen since 2010.

SlapStick

Century Club Award
SITE ADMIN
Medals: 1
eBay ID: slapstickcards19
Canada

Post by SlapStick » Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 pm

thefishman wrote:My LCS told me demand is down huge from what he thought it would be considering the McDavid hype. Believes the prices are just too much for collectors right now (especially when factoring in the exchange) and that has lead to a) people buying less to begin with, and b) people being forced to sell their breaks to recoup costs either to pay for the box or to buy more.

I used to bust a crap load of wax...can't justify it now. I mean it's always been gambling, but there's just so little actual dollar value in the products right now if you don't hit that one or two "hit" rookies. You can tell me all you want about having to ignore value in this hobby, but with the pricing what it is right now on wax, value cannot be ignored. Most people cant drop a few hundred bucks on a box only to get back 30-40 in ebay sale value. Whether busting for enjoyment or other reasons, that's not just a bad investment, it's a tough way to even justify spending some entertainment money. Since I believe more people are realizing this, less people are buying wax and therefore less trading.

Another possible reason: I would wager the majority of boxes now are broken by group breakers....these people give buyers a chance to only have to buy "their team" and are therefore possibly more likely to hold onto their spoils. Plus, group breaks gives the consumer another choice - instead of spending $200 on a box that will likely all end up as traders, they can now buy a few spots in group breaks of their choice and end up with more cards they are more likely to hang on to.

I dunno. IMO, this issue is part of a much larger issue in the hobby....I love the hobby for a lot of reasons, but I'm also having a little deja-vu from the early 90's. Upper Deck needs to be careful.

This is probably close to the best answer possible. In the end it all boils down to "too many". Too many products, too many cards per player, too many dollars per box, too many collectors scaling back on what they collect, etc..
Complete Wantlist

Traders Bucket

Looking for RED WINGS Rookie Cards

thefishman
Unlisted Star
Canada

Post by thefishman » Fri May 13, 2016 7:57 am

SlapStick wrote:

This is probably close to the best answer possible. In the end it all boils down to "too many". Too many products, too many cards per player, too many dollars per box, too many collectors scaling back on what they collect, etc..
Much more succinctly put. Too. Much. Of everything. Plus, tough to get the new young collectors interested when they can't afford to buy any product.

Someone above brought up another good point.....the recency bias. It seems now more than ever, if you have traders from years other than the current one, good luck finding someone interested in them.

Sadly, I don't pretend to have a solution.
SPECIAL THANKS TO SYNNISTERART® FOR THE BANNER
Collecting: Drew Doughty, Daniel Paille and Bryan Berard

BackupGoalie
Veteran
eBay ID: backupgoaliecards
United States of America

Post by BackupGoalie » Fri May 13, 2016 10:07 am

I was never a really big trader, but the rising shipping costs have pushed me to become someone who rarely makes a trade. Unless the deal involves $50+ in sale value, I just don't think the exorbitant shipping costs are worth it.

I have lost a lot of interest in the hobby because of the exclusive licensing. I really miss Panini and the old ITG with Dr. Price. The hobby is just not as exciting as it used to be for me and I think the same can be said for a lot of collectors. The hobby message boards, not just CnC, all appear to be a lot less active.
Looking for Jack Eichel, Jack Campbell, Evander Kane & Buffalo Sabres

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Tue May 17, 2016 7:59 am

These are all certainly valid points. In speaking privately with some of our other esteemed members, I've been told that Upper Deck's Exclusive licensing has hindered their trading as well their selling. As it stands, there's a certain mindset among many collectors, that since Panini was only here for 4 hockey seasons, they didn't make enough impact to sway collectors from Upper Deck completely, and now that they're out of hockey altogether, there's more than a strong belief that their hockey products are considered worthless. Case in point, if you look at some places for their Panini products, most of them are on sale for up to 50% OFF or more...and they're STILL sitting there. No one is buying the product, and no one is trading for it. In just my own experiences, I've recently sold a Filip Forsberg Select Auto Jersey RC for as little as $5. Let me reiterate, a Forsberg Auto Jersey RC for $5. If that were UD product, say something like SPx...we're talking $20-25 easily. The UD exclusive in most collector's minds has sapped the industry of innovation through competition, as well as saturated the market with garbage such as Full Force, Contours and the parallel Hell that is OPC Platinum. Imagine that...Panini puts out Select, Prizm, etc & collectors complain about the endless parallels that they must chase. Panini loses their license, then UD produces OPCP & presents another parallel Hell & collectors gobble it up.

Another aspect that you folks have brought up is the lack of people wanting older product, and I completely agree that this has become a sincere problem. Everyone went nuts over this Connor McDavid craze & UD has every intention to cash in on that demand. I don't blame them, and I'm not bashing them for that marketing angle. However, it's bringing in the wrong collectors for all of the wrong reasons. I'm not talking about kids and the younger generation who are just entering this hobby. I'm speaking of those who have either re-entered this hobby after a hiatus, or those of the older mindset who have joined this hobby just for the chance to pull a huge ticket item. There are actually people out there who are entering this hobby to "invest" in Connor McDavid. I've always had the mindset that you NEVER invest in hockey cards. This is a hobby, and while you *can* potentially make a few dollars selling off a big hit or a hoarded collection, it's once-in-a-blue-moon that you'll have that opportunity. Too many of the wrong type of collectors are entering this hobby with the Connor Craze on the brain, and when they spend & don't hit...they complain, tirelessly. When they spend and hit...then they want the moon in return. Sportscard collecting is (or at least *should* be) never about the money, but the fun you have doing it, and the camaraderie & reputation that you build among your fellow collectors. Think about this...everyone should always support their local LCS. They are your local adrenaline dealers. You should strive to build a rapport with your LCS owner and its patrons on a friendly and collective basis. Now, if you were to continuously take advantage of them in your dealings, do you think you would enjoy some of the benefits the shop may provide? Do you think they'd enjoy your business? Do you think they'd help support any of your wants? Or the end-all, be-all...if they continuously got taken advantage of by their patrons, would they even stay in business? (That's a loaded & hypothetical question considering most owners should be savvy enough to practice sound business ethics, etc) Collect cards b/c you can afford it, and you enjoy it. When you hit big, revel in it & celebrate. But be warned, the hobby community remembers jackasses.

The flip-side of that Connor Craze is that he's in THIS year's product, thus those who have entered into the hobby are wanting the here & now. Products just as recent as 2014/15 are already being put on sale as drastically reduced prices. This is a shame...and one of the reasons why RC values of the likes of Gaudreau, Ekblad, Drouin, et al are plummeting. (Except for maybe CUP) Most collectors have the on-the-surface mindset that since that box of SP Authentic that used to be $135 is now $89, that the RC's are no longer as desirable, and thus collector's won't pay as much for them. It's a shame that a RC such as Gaudreau, that used to be close to $100...is now a $55-65 card. Granted, I'm WELL aware of other factors at play, but the price of a product box IS related to perceived value of the cards inside. How much of a factor, I can't say, but it IS a factor.

So, there's my follow up responses to some of the aforementioned arguments. I love the responses thus far. I love the debates. There are no wrong answers in this discussion as I feel that everyone has a valid point. While it can be as simple for us USA members as the shipping increase or something as complex as product price points & assorted available products that are released, one thing for certain is that we're seeing a sharp decline in the willingness to make trades within our community. I was speaking with B&G the other night about how surprised I was that the Playoffs are not more of a springboard for acquiring those "hot" players like Pavelski, Kucherov, etc & their response was that most collectors stop collecting once their team's season ends. i.e. Collectors of Detroit have ceased picking up most cards since their team is out of the playoffs. I find that to be the most lame of reasons, but that's only my opinion. I'm a Stars fan. While my team is out, I find now is the best time to pick up the likes of Faksa, Janmark as well as the singles of Seguin, Spezza, Benn, etc into my collection, as well as my personal favorite, Mike Modano...which brings me to my last point...

...with the influx of the new stuff, retired players such as Modano, Sakic, Lemieux, et al are in less and less product, thus most new collectors don't appreciate the past of the game. If they do, it's only Gretzky, as McDavid brings money for the new, while Gretzky brings money for the old. It's all or nothing. If that keeps the values down on Modano, then I'll take it 7 days a week b/c as a teacher, I must collect on a budget. To paraphrase the great Princess Leia from A New Hope; "You needn't worry about your reward. If money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive."
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

kevin6666

Member of the Month
eBay ID: kevin6666
United States of America

Post by kevin6666 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:40 pm

1) Shipping costs are WAY too high. Last trade I made were two small packages over the border to Canada. Cost me $20. Ridiculous.

2) WAY too much product at WAY too high of a price.

3) Group Breaks. As mentioned above, why by boxes that turn out to be traders when you can select YOUR TEAM in a break? Saves the average collector a ton of money.

4) The "trading" hobby has become more and more of a "get rich quick" mentality as years pass by. The days of finishing sets and collecting a player or two are dwindling. Those collectors are quickly becoming a dying breed. Now it's all about how much one can "make" from selling cards.

5) GREED! Just look at the ridiculous asking prices for cards...whether someone is holding a card for ransom in a trade or eBay prices. In short, you can't fix stupid.

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Mon May 30, 2016 9:04 pm

I figured I'd retort some of your points. Great insight Kevin!
kevin6666 wrote:1) Shipping costs are WAY too high. Last trade I made were two small packages over the border to Canada. Cost me $20. Ridiculous.

There's a way around that if you're able to use PayPal shipping. I can ship to Canada for under $3.50 for a 3oz package & it still includes tracking. I agree, there should be NO WAY a 3OZ package to ANYWHERE costs $10!!

2) WAY too much product at WAY too high of a price.

Also the problem is, some products that haven't even been out 2-3 months in total are already getting blown out at super discount prices.

3) Group Breaks. As mentioned above, why by boxes that turn out to be traders when you can select YOUR TEAM in a break? Saves the average collector a ton of money.

In essence this is a good tactic, but if we're talking about breaks that happen here, they go up well past my bedtime and if I were a routine breaker, I'm always missing out on my team...especially in 14/15 CUP. Team Selects are tough for someone who misses out on *their* team b/c then you're stuck with choosing between a team that you don't want and a team that you hope will hit *something.* How many times are we stuck on 2-3 teams left in a break, and while they may be only $10-20 for those teams, they end up being MIN, ARZ or OTT or something like that? I'm all for randoms. Equal chance, equal shot. Yeah it sucks paying a little more to get stuck with a bad team, but 1/2 the fun is the random as well. I dunno. Breaks are a necessary evil in most cases. Either people complain about getting a crap team in a random, or people won't fill a break with bad teams b/c I'm of the same ilk. I couldn't care less if a team is only $15. If it's MIN, I'm not touching them. They claim to be The State of Hockey...yet I couldn't trade a Wild card to anyone living in the State of Minnesota if my life depended on it. Maybe it's the lack of star power...with all due respect to Parise...there's no one there to collect. Ok, got off track...sorry.

4) The "trading" hobby has become more and more of a "get rich quick" mentality as years pass by. The days of finishing sets and collecting a player or two are dwindling. Those collectors are quickly becoming a dying breed. Now it's all about how much one can "make" from selling cards.

I've long feared and complained about this. The "rip & flips" have sucked the life out of those who love player collecting and set building. Don't get me wrong, I love selling a card just as much as the next guy, but I'm a firm believer that you build more solid reputations via trading and building a rapport with one another. When money is the only thing changing hands...you're a faceless customer in my eyes. I love coming to you when I have some snazzy Bruins. I love pointing out Elways to Losman. I love swapping extra Modano's with Dwight. That's what our community was based on. If I see a S&T thread where someone has pulled something I'm interested in, but down at the bottom says "Only selling" I won't even place an offer. I have far too many traders piling up that could go to good homes before I start buying up more things. I'm trying to stop selling on eBay as much as possible, even though I have auctions on there right now, simply because of the astronomical fees that they have imposed recently. Did you know they're now charging 10% on what we charge for shipping? So if we charge $3 for shipping, eBay is taking 30-cents. Your package better cost below $2.70, otherwise you're losing money just by shipping a card up to someone. And more & more people nowadays are wanting free shipping. It's getting to the point where no one can afford to do internet commerce. Sell a $100 card on eBay...you'll only see about $84 of it by the time all appropriate fees are taken out. While that's $84 you didn't have in your pocket just a few minutes ago, there's something to be said about having options away from eBay. OH
! Hello, Sports Card Direct!!

5) GREED! Just look at the ridiculous asking prices for cards...whether someone is holding a card for ransom in a trade or eBay prices. In short, you can't fix stupid.

Just what I referenced up above. The motto of today's collector is "Gimme gimme gimme!"
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

andrewjb420

Century Club Award
Unlisted Star
Medals: 1
eBay ID: andrewjb420
Canada

Post by andrewjb420 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:25 pm

I personally find it easier to just buy the card, rather then dealing with back and forth messaging taking days to get responses. It just seems like a waste of time, 90%+ on here are great traders that I deal with regularly but you almost have to make a list of the ones who seem to waste peoples time with no intent to actually finalize a deal. I constantly get messages asking for a card off my list that's worth less than the cost of the postage to mail it...why would I even bother wasting time on that. To make things worse the person offers nothing off my want lists for the card and expects me to look for something in return. Then u finally pick something and there's a disagreement over a couple dollars of bv when realistically both cards would be tough to get a $1 bid at auction on eBay....i think people should go less by book value and more on resale value and it would make trading easier.

zacho16122

Trader of the Year
Semistar
eBay ID: zacho16122

Post by zacho16122 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:02 am

I have not been doing this for long, but it seems like it has gotten harder to trade recently. I honestly thought it was just me, so it's kind of nice to hear that people all over are noticing this. The shipping costs definitely seem to be a factor. It seemed like when I first started on here (little over a year ago), people were more willing to help with sets and make smaller trades. Now I rarely am able to make a small trade. I don't have a huge budget (teacher), and I've had to learn how to spend in this hobby to where I am enjoying it and not sweating it that I "don't get my money's worth" so I have even been doing less group breaks. I like to buy less expensive teams and try to trade the hits for Detroit stuff, but as people have said, people seem to be less interested in collecting teams, and more interested in the big time hits/rookies. Those are hard to come by. It seems like you have to spend big to get anything people will be interested in.

I suppose at the end of the day, I don't have as much experience in the hobby to say why trading has gone down, but trading has been the most fun aspect of it for me. I love getting envelopes from Kelowna, BC or Finland and Russia. It's cool to think I've sent something there, and something has traveled to me from overseas. With this year's product, I have opened more of it, but been able to trade less, so I've backed off my spending to just the Series 1 and 2 sets. Something that I don't think I've seen brought up here yet is ePack. I do most of my collecting and trading in the lower end S1 and S2 stuff. I have a few nice cards listed for trade here that have gone with no interest, but if I had them on ePack, I think they would move quite easily, and I could get something I wanted in return. I had a conversation with a buddy that people seem less interested in helping each other out with sets, and more interested in getting "the right value," which is often subjective. It's nice to read others' thoughts on this, and thanks for starting this discussion.
Mainly searching for Dylan Larkin. I collect all Red Wings, Aaron Ekblad, Max Domi, Petr Mrazek or anything else I like.

MY TRADE BUCKET
TRADE LIST

Shappy27
Semistar
Canada

Re: Voice your opinions/concerns regarding online forum trading

Post by Shappy27 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:26 pm

I don't mind trading, 2 people helping each other out is a great time. Been doing it for 20 years, so why stop.
A few things I do find bugging is that some people will say " sorry I haven't updated my page or list in months " I believe this page/group would be better if the older post's were removed. If you held the member to his post's on keeping them updated and such.
Hundreds of GU'ed RC's and Auto's
https://www.facebook.com/groups/592107494175701/
Official Larry Robinson Collector

Robert96
Prospect
Germany

Re: Voice your opinions/concerns regarding online forum trading

Post by Robert96 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:57 am

An important topic and some excellent points have been made (zacho16122, j2olson, the moderators). I just wanted to add a story: I was introduced to hockey cards when I was 6 (1979). The next year, my cousin and his friends had a stack of 1980-81 OPC and my task was to read out (and mark up) the checklist so that they could see what cards they needed for their sets. All I heard was ''got 'em - need 'em'' - Number 140 came up (Bourque RC) and one was passed over to my cousin, and then 289 came up (Messier RC) and one was passed over to his buddy, and so on, and then the 'doubles' (#140 x2 and #289 x3 plus many more) were given to me. So I had my own stack of cards, and the next year I met up with my classmates to trade - 1981-82 OPC. I watched one give all of his Bourque Rcs -5- (and I gave my extra) for all of his Coffee Rcs -7- (classmate liked Coffee more than Bourque -who is better was the debate back then-was Coffee actually a forward trying to play defence was the much discussed question). Maybe many of you remember, that was trading at that time. Back to 2017+ and the BV problem: I've got a 1/1 patch of Maxime Ouellet - would anyone trade me a mint Coffee RC for it - I actually need a Coffee Rc for my set :-) I think trading works well if the BV is secondary (sometimes I wonder how it's even relevant - SV is important, but definitely not the be all, end all). For example, I had a jersey card (BV25) and asked for an auto card and 1 or 2 Trilogy Rcs (gave my trading partner the choice of players – I liked the cards that year). He sent me the auto and ALL of his Trilogy Rcs (BV100+). What? I spent some time to trade for an auto that he needed (Hull) and sent it over to him, and we continue to make trades; that is, we all (with other like-minded collectors) trade for cards that we like (it is possible to see a card without a price tag)...like in my 'old school' trading story above. As some have already mentioned here, it doesn't exist with the 'rip and sell' traders (I made a trade once and found the card that I traded on eBay a few days later :-/), but a little generosity goes a long way with the right trading partners, and I find it comes back around...

Return to “Trading”