USPS Postal Rate Increase as of JAN 16, 2016 - Please Read

Read the Rules and learn the tricks and tips of how to use CloutsnChara.com as well as find out any important updates!
bqaggie

Member of the Year
Medals: 8
eBay ID: bqaggie
United States of America

USPS Postal Rate Increase as of JAN 16, 2016 - Please Read

Post by bqaggie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:56 am

PLEASE SEE THE NEW INFORMATION MARKED WITH AN ASTERISK BELOW. JANUARY 24, 2016

This is a Public Service / C&C Announcement for anyone in the USA who will be shipping cards, etc after Jan 16, 2016. Postal rates are going up drastically. Shipping within the US for packages increases from 2.04 for the first 3 oz to 2.60 and 0.17 per oz there after. The biggest increase will be shipping to Canada. First Class International packages will now be $9.50 per oz up to 3 ounces from $6.55 and then an additional per oz fee depending on the country/province. With that said, be mindful of the trades you are making, as it needs to be worth your time, effort and now hard-earned money. Please refer to http://www.usps.com for more info, or speak with an ADMIN or MOD. (This news sucks)
Standard stamp (Old Rate)Standard stamp (New Rate)
49 centssame
Shipping Within USA (Old Rate)Shipping Within USA (New Rate)
$2.04 for up to 3oz.$2.60 for up to 3oz.
Shipping To CANADA (Old Rate)Shipping To CANADA (New Rate)
$6.55 for up to 2oz.$9.50 for up to 2oz.

Thus, please use wise judgement when trading online. With the postal increase, I'm betting most will not want to trade base, inserts and base parallels if we have to pay upwards of $10 to ship them. Make trades that are worthwhile and economically feasible. Thank you.

**PayPal now has put forth an option for US Sellers in which you can fill out your customs forms online using PayPal Shipping. (Everything is done using USPS system)**

Whenever you get a payment from an International Buyer, go to "Print Shipping Label" and fill out all of the necessary information of the item. The shipping address will be already be uploaded for you.

1.) Mark the item as a GIFT...so that the International buyer does not accrue any customs / duties / taxes

2.) Choose FIRST CLASS INTERNATIONAL LARGE ENVELOPE (this charge, as you can see, is only $2.91 versus the outlandish $9.50)

3.) Print out the customs form once it has been paid for from your PayPal funds and stick it on the mailer

It's now that easy, and allows you to sell a little more frequently to Canada, etc. HOWEVER...in order to use this feature, you really need to keep the envelope to 4-5 ounces or less...otherwise you will be required to send it using FIRST CLASS INTERNATIONAL PACKAGE. ($9.50 and up)

Best of luck in everyone's trading endeavors!
I COLLECT: Modano, Seguin, Benn, SP Authentic
CLICK TO FOLLOW: YouTube / Twitter / My Bucket
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

Mauri
Semistar
eBay ID: Kippelsiini
Kiribati

Re: USPS Postal Rate Increase as of JAN 27, 2013 - Please Re

Post by Mauri » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:06 am

How about rates to overseas (personally I'm mostly interested with USA-Finland shipping)?
Buying Cody McLeod cards!
#1 want: 2013-14 Panini Prime Captain's Cloth #CCCM Cody McLeod/2

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:09 am

Mauri wrote:How about rates to overseas (personally I'm mostly interested with USA-Finland shipping)?
From what I can understand online at USPS, all international will start at $6.55 for the first 2 ounces, and then it will range in different fees from every ounce after that. I am trying to gather information as it comes, as for right now everything is on spreadsheet formats and not "hard numbers" per se, so once more info can be found out, I will update as I go along. Thanks!
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

Krusin
Prospect
eBay ID: tn_krusin

Post by Krusin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:17 am

Using E-Bay shipping within the US has been $1.64 for up to 3 ozs. w/tracking, any idea on what that rate's change will be?

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 am

Krusin wrote:Using E-Bay shipping within the US has been $1.64 for up to 3 ozs. w/tracking, any idea on what that rate's change will be?
Not quite sure as of yet. Shipping through eBay/PayPal Shipping has always been much cheaper, and I can only pray it remains cheaper than taking it to the PO, but again...once I find out more, I will post it. I have seen some websites up with the new postal rates for International Packages, but it only shows it on a 1oz. baseline. It doesn't show the progressive rates.
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

urbanmonk

Member of the Year
Medals: 2
eBay ID: tccurbanmonk
United States of America

Post by urbanmonk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:23 am

Mauri wrote:How about rates to overseas (personally I'm mostly interested with USA-Finland shipping)?
Over 2 oz. varies by the Country. Before it was running me $6-7 for 3-4oz to Europe, so with the new starting rate it will be around $10 and up for same. Be different if a small increase but with the base rate out of the country almost doubling that is pretty major. Will be more sellers on the Bay from US not shipping out of country be my guess as it was bad enough before with tracking starting at $30 to Canada (imagine that going up too), and if not will affect sales as nobody going to want to pay $7 shipping on a $1 win (let alone fees are based on total which includes shipping cost). Will affect trading and selling a lot in my opinion.
PC Modano Want list, Have List for FB PC, and Trade Lists: http://urbanmonkscards.weebly.com/

Main focus in Hockey is Mike Modano, have 1,402 of the 5,035 listed on Beckett

Mauri
Semistar
eBay ID: Kippelsiini
Kiribati

Post by Mauri » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:25 am

bqaggie wrote:
From what I can understand online at USPS, all international will start at $6.55 for the first 2 ounces, and then it will range in different fees from every ounce after that. I am trying to gather information as it comes, as for right now everything is on spreadsheet formats and not "hard numbers" per se, so once more info can be found out, I will update as I go along. Thanks!
Ok, thanks for the update!

Personally I collect almost purely base, inserts and parallels, so this might be significant news to me.
Buying Cody McLeod cards!
#1 want: 2013-14 Panini Prime Captain's Cloth #CCCM Cody McLeod/2

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:28 am

HERE is more information on the new postal rates. Pay particular attention to the part where it says "2013 rates are seeing a significant increase, with rates increasing as much as 60% for packages that weigh up to 1 lb."

BOOM! Here you go. That's the most in-depth chart I have seen thus far.

YIKES!
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

northicehero99
Semistar
eBay ID: northicehero99

Post by northicehero99 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 am

urbanmonk wrote:
Over 2 oz. varies by the Country. Before it was running me $6-7 for 3-4oz to Europe, so with the new starting rate it will be around $10 and up for same. Be different if a small increase but with the base rate out of the country almost doubling that is pretty major. Will be more sellers on the Bay from US not shipping out of country be my guess as it was bad enough before with tracking starting at $30 to Canada (imagine that going up too), and if not will affect sales as nobody going to want to pay $7 shipping on a $1 win (let alone fees are based on total which includes shipping cost). Will affect trading and selling a lot in my opinion.
You summed it up, this pretty much kills low-end collecting and set building. Guess its time to find a new hobby, maybe stamp collecting, not?!?! lol

Ridiculous, guess this is how they are going to pay for not delivering mail on Saturdays in the future!

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:04 am

By the chit-chat during last night's Blog session it seems that plenty of us here in the US have already experienced the dramatic & drastic spike in shipping price to Canada (or elsewhere Internationally.) It's obviously a less-than-economically-friendly option to get packages from the origin to the destination, but it's what we're stuck with. Many of you have already voiced your displeasures in shipping packages that just 3-4 days ago were only $3.45, are now upwards of over $6.55 - $7. That's ridiculously insane! It will for sure cut into the cross-border trading on forums, as well as affect eBay sales.

*For those that I assist in eBay deals cross-border, I have also updated the eBay Assistance sticky.*

So, what I propose are these 2 things:

• 1.) EVERYONE (if you haven't already done so) log into your "User Control Panel", select the "Profile" tab and please update your location to {where you live}, USA. (If you live in Canada, then {where you live}, CAN.) That way everyone can see where we would potentially be shipping a package to. It cuts down on the hassle of finding out AFTER you've made a deal, that they live Internationally, and you've just made a deal for inserts and parallels. Which brings me to #2...

2.) Please be cognizant to your potential trading partners' location. Try to refrain from making deals for $5-10 card(s) if someone has to pay $7 to ship it to you. It's not economically feasible. It's totally personal preference as to what anyone wants to do by way of trading/selling, but I would highly recommend that if anyone has to pay that much for shipping, that a worthwhile deal has been consummated.
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

CrazyAggieIngo
Common
eBay ID: texastradingcardcompany

Post by CrazyAggieIngo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 am

Looks like the USPS service to Canada now includes delivery confirmation.

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:27 am

CrazyAggieIngo wrote:Looks like the USPS service to Canada now includes delivery confirmation.
Which is a good thing, believe me, but by no means justifies the 200% increase in rate. I'd ship a $10-15 card to Canada for $3.45...not so much for $7.
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

northicehero99
Semistar
eBay ID: northicehero99

Post by northicehero99 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 pm

bqaggie wrote:
CrazyAggieIngo wrote:Looks like the USPS service to Canada now includes delivery confirmation.
Which is a good thing, believe me, but by no means justifies the 200% increase in rate. I'd ship a $10-15 card to Canada for $3.45...not so much for $7.
I agree but why not treat the confirmation like they do in the US as an "option to purchase" rather than forced on the consumer for an additional $3? If I am sending $20 worth of cards cross the border I will take the risk as I usually know who I am sending to anyway, if more then worth spending the additional amount.

kcatthebat
Listed Star
Canada

Post by kcatthebat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:00 pm

That is a crazy price hike! Question though, if its a small card, can't you just send it as oversize mail and treat is as paper/documents? That is what I do when sending to the States, it is only like $2.25 and I haven't had an issue. There must be a similar option for people in the States, can anyone confirm?
Casey

bignewf11

Horseshoe Award
Semistar
Medals: 1
eBay ID: tyrel556

Post by bignewf11 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:23 pm

This has already taken a huge toll on business for me anyway some of my saved sellers whom i buy items off of regularly are no longer shipping to Canada it hurts for sure and is unfortunate for guys trying to make a go of it in the states especially with hockey where alot of the buying market is canada.
ALWAYS COLLECTING ROY/BELFOUR!!
THANKS SO MUCH LUMPJAW FOR THE BANNER!!

CHECK OUT MY BUCKET

http://s1231.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 1/library/

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:53 pm

kcatthebat wrote:That is a crazy price hike! Question though, if its a small card, can't you just send it as oversize mail and treat is as paper/documents? That is what I do when sending to the States, it is only like $2.25 and I haven't had an issue. There must be a similar option for people in the States, can anyone confirm?
Truthfully the only cheaper way we can ship would be via PWE...and I wouldn't advocate that for ANYONE.
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

AlexTheGr8

Member of the Year
Veteran
Medals: 3
eBay ID: dude0100

Post by AlexTheGr8 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:03 pm

kcatthebat wrote:That is a crazy price hike! Question though, if its a small card, can't you just send it as oversize mail and treat is as paper/documents? That is what I do when sending to the States, it is only like $2.25 and I haven't had an issue. There must be a similar option for people in the States, can anyone confirm?
There is a solution but I would only recommend it if you and your trading partner agree on it before hand: http://forums.cloutsnchara.com/viewtopi ... 66&t=52159
2013 CnC Fantasy Hockey League Champion
I collect:
Image (No Multi Player Cards)
Alex Pietrangelo PC: 321/358 90% Trade List

hockeynewb
Common

Post by hockeynewb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am

This change adds more value to being a Canadian seller, but definitely sucks for trading. Overall it is a hit to collecting.

Interested in Winnipeg Jets cards in Jets jerseys.

Tradebucket - http://s1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/hockeynewb/

bqaggie

Member of the Year
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Wed May 22, 2013 2:54 pm

There have been reports of some people shipping cards in flat Quill manila envelopes (non-bubble mailers) and shipping them as "DOCUMENTS" in order to combat the rather expensive shipping hike. I am not sure of the exact difference in shipping charge, but some have reported being half of the International Mailing surcharge. If you are shipping this way in order to combat the high expense, please do EVERYTHING in your power to make sure the card is secure, as if it's considered documents, the package WILL go through a sorter and/or conveyor belt and typically this process can cause bending, warping or anything else detrimental to the condition of the card. Also, make sure that if you are going to be shipping cards this way, alert your trading partner and make sure they are okay with this process as well, lest you be at risk of a negative feedback for poor shipping practices.

*I will NOT be shipping in that fashion. I will always ship using padded/bubble mailers, with customs forms and proper shipping postage. Thus, why I am drastically reducing my international shipping activity. Those who care to trade with me should accept this.

Case in point, I mailed 1 card...ONE CARD...to Huskytom over in Germany on Monday and it cost me $9.45 to ship it to him. Just 6 months ago that package would've been under $5.

So again, be aware and mindful of this now well-known change. We've had almost 6 months to get accustomed to it.
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

Consistent X
NOT PERMITTED TO TRADE / SELL

Post by Consistent X » Wed May 22, 2013 4:26 pm

I am not sure if this was just a mistake at my post office BUT.....

The other day I was mailing a card out to Missisauga, ON. Now I was expecting a total to be around $7 for it. I was onyl charged $2.25. It went through customs and everything. I used my standard Size 0 Bubble maile and everything. It was 2.1 oz as well...Do you think they simply messed up? Looks like I got away with it. I live in MI so it really shouldn't be $7 but thats my 2 cents..Thoughts?

Return to “Terms of Service / Announcements”