Hello from San Diego!

Give us a little info about yourself!
ipv6freely
Prospect
eBay ID: ipv6freely
Canada

Hello from San Diego!

Post by ipv6freely » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 am

Hi all! I'm new to the forums and new to collecting. When I was a kid I had a ton of Felix Potvin cards but that's about it. Now that the Leafs are good again I decided to start collecting. I got in a bit late, buying 2016-17 UD Series 1 after the season ended this past spring. I want a Matthews YG so badly but not spending $300 on eBay for it. Hoping someday I get lucky on a case break or something.

This stuff is definitely not what it used to be. You used to collect the set and you were done. I don't recall all the "extras" that make it basically impossible to ever actually collect full sets (beyond base) unless you have a boatload of money. I do like to have full base sets though. I have most of 2016-17 UD Series 1 and 2, 2017-18 UD MVP, and 2017-18 UD Series 1. What do you guys suggest as far as getting those base sets completed? What happens to all the base set cards during case breaks?

I bought my first ever hobby box of 2017-18 UD S1 a couple days ago and did okay I think?

The jersey card is nice I guess, and the Bure is apparently an alternate photo? I haven't been doing this long enough to have any idea what's worth anything.

As for collecting/storage I plan to keep base sets in binders just so I can easily look at them (and they aren't worth much). Anything that is a parallel or ... other stuff (I don't know what the correct term is??) I plan on putting in a sleeve and then into a toploader. Is that the generally accepted way of doing things?

These are probably dumb questions, but I am seriously starting from nothing here. If anyone could point me towards some resources on getting started, that would be awesome. I'm also confused by some of the terms used when describing whats in a set. Stuff like "1:4" I assume means one in four packs? What about "/5"? And are retail packs of 5 cards going to contain the same stuff as the packs of 5 cards that come in hobby boxes?

Lots of questions, I know.
► Collecting all Maple Leafs, specifically 2016-17 rookies and anything Felix Potvin ◀︎

creasecollector

Member of the Year
Veteran
Medals: 1
Canada

Re: Hello from San Diego!

Post by creasecollector » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Welcome to CNC ! :) Nice cards you have there.
Main PC's: Martin Brodeur, Ed Belfour, Jhonas Enroth, Marc-Andre Fleury,Carey Price
My Traders are located Here
Let me know if you have any cards from my Enroth Card Wantlist to help my collection! Thanks!

Hwood98
Prospect
United States of America

Post by Hwood98 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 am

Welcome mate. Good luck on the hunt for the card. I pulled a auto out of a ultimate box Saturday. Sometimes you can luck up and find boxes cheap online.
Last edited by Hwood98 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ipv6freely
Prospect
Canada

Post by ipv6freely » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks folks!

Looks like at this point the best way to go for finding a Matthews YG is actually blaster boxes. I think I've broken this down correctly:
  • Hobby box = 6 YG per box
  • Retail box = 6 YG per box
  • Blaster box = 4 YG per box
It looks like I can get 3x blaster boxes for quite a bit less than the cost of 2x retail boxes, both options yielding a total 12 YG cards. Of course a hobby box is going to have better stuff but if all I'm looking for is the Matthews YG card, the retail/blaster option is significantly less expensive. Let me know if I'm calculating that correctly. I did also finally get the base set for 2016-17 Series 1 complete.

In addition, as a kid the only hockey cards I had were Felix Potvin cards. I figure it makes sense that if I'm going to start up PC'ing again it should be Potvin, so I've started that collection up!
► Collecting all Maple Leafs, specifically 2016-17 rookies and anything Felix Potvin ◀︎

Hwood98
Prospect
United States of America

Post by Hwood98 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:57 am

Think i remember seeing a post about the topic of young guns per box and so forth

ipv6freely
Prospect
Canada

Post by ipv6freely » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 am

I finally got one! $177.50 for a PSA graded 9 on eBay. Somebody tried to snipe me as I saw the price jump with two seconds left, but that was enough time to hit "increase maximum bid" and steal it right back!

After as much money as I've spent trying to get one, $177.50 isn't too bad.

That's quite the weight off the shoulders...

Hwood98
Prospect
United States of America

Post by Hwood98 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:26 am

Awesome. Glad you got it. My luck, if i sold something on ebay, i would get scammed some how. Like to sell a Auston Matthews rookie auto. Guess I could always keep it and hope it keeps going up.

ipv6freely
Prospect
Canada

Post by ipv6freely » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:28 am

Hwood98 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:26 am
Awesome. Glad you got it. My luck, if i sold something on ebay, i would get scammed some how. Like to sell a Auston Matthews rookie auto. Guess I could always keep it and hope it keeps going up.
Heh I can only dream of having such a thing.

browny
Semistar
eBay ID: religionisfutile-3
Canada

Post by browny » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:00 am

Welcome to CNC. The most important thing I can suggest to a semi-new collector is to make sure you set a budget that you can afford and stick to it. It is very easy to get carried away and blow more cash then you intended chasing a hit. I hate leaving the local card shop (lcs) without a nice hit and have paid for it and assume most other collectors have done the same. Sometimes it pays off but the odds are usually against you. I try not to open at the shop because when I do and I am disappointed i tend to buy more. If you open at home it is a little safer.
From my understanding the Bure and all the variants for that set are quite rare. If somebody is doing the set they will coma a knocking if you let them know you have it. I would try posting it to trade or put it on ebay and move it while there is a demand. That set will be so hard to complete that only a few collectors will even try to do it.
I miss San Diego. Lived there for 8 months in the early 90s. I biked Balboa Park and Coronado Island on American thanksgiving -good times.
Enjoy the hobby -it is meant to be enjoyed- not to make a fortune.
browny

Return to “Introduce Yourself”