Rudy Gay just traded to Raptors giving up Calderon and Davis

Talk about all upcoming games, players. Basically anything Basketball.
johnferguson12
Semistar
eBay ID: liljohn543

Rudy Gay just traded to Raptors giving up Calderon and Davis

Post by johnferguson12 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:34 pm

Rudy Gay is now a raptor and star point guard Calderon and Rebounder Ed Davis is now leaving. What do you guys think? Good or bad deal? Will it make us closer to the playoffs?
Jeff Skinner Super Collector! Looking for all his cards
Check my BUCKET anytime.

BackupGoalie
Veteran
eBay ID: backupgoaliecards
United States of America

Re: Rudy Gay just traded to Raptors giving up Calderon and D

Post by BackupGoalie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 pm

I'd say it is a fair trade for both teams, I still don't see the Raptors as a playoff contender though
Looking for Jack Eichel, Jack Campbell, Evander Kane & Buffalo Sabres

carmichaelpt

Set Builder of the Year
Medals: 2
eBay ID: carmichael_pt
Canada

Post by carmichaelpt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:50 am

Looks like Calderon will get flipped to the Pistons in a combo deal as well. I personally don't like the deal, as I think and have thought Davis is the real deal and is certainly coming into his own. I think him and Valinconis *or however you spell it would have made a great combo.

I think Gay brings a lot of the same things that DeRozan brings, and until I see them side by side, it will be interesting. He is certainly an upgrade at the 3.

I'd like to seem them move out Barngani for a bag of balls, and let Ross play the 2, he has more upside as an outside shooter then DeMar, and maybe see them move DeMar towards either a pick or a 4.
Christopher Carmichael MOD Team

JTPoni23

Century Club Award
Listed Star
Medals: 1

Post by JTPoni23 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 am

I don't like the deal at all, regardless of what happened tonight. Well I mean I guess I just don't like Jose leaving, I'm fine with Gay coming (although he is overpaid), but Lowry should be going...

It starts off with Colangelo disrespecting Calderon for the past 7 years. He's had a number one point guard this entire time, but no, he had to bring in Ford then Jack then Bayless and now Lowry. The Raptors all time leader in assists, and you're still trying to replace him? I understand his contract is expiring this year and he's aging, but you bring in Gay for some kind of quick fix for a playoff push, why not hold on to Jose? If Colangelo wants success now, he should've hung on to Calderon and never picked up Lowry in the first place.

I disliked Lowry the day he got here. After every single whistle I see him with his hands up whining to the refs. His pull up 3s with over 20 seconds left on the shot clock never cease to amaze me. And now he "relishes the burden of it being his team". Lowry's ego and attitude completely turn me off of celebrating any possession that he has a part of. You would never catch Jose acting like that. Lowry wants the spotlight on him, yet when he starts the Raptors are 2-14. When Jose starts they are 13-15. The numbers don't lie. And of course Colangelo deal away Davis too, who would've been a main piece of the future for the Raps. Sound like another Toronto GM?

Obviously I'm biased towards keeping Jose, but he plays with more heart than anyone I've seen in the past 7 years on the Raptors. He leaves it all on the court. And yet year after year Colangelo tried to replace him. Jose looked like he was gonna cry during his post trade interview. How many players in the NBA can you tell me that would choose TO over any other team to play for? Not many, but Jose would be number 1. I've gone to around 5 Raptors games every year for the past 5 years, this year I've gone to none. The only one I will go to will be Jose's return, and I will be one of the 18000 who gives him a lengthy standing O. I pray the Pistons beat the Raps with numero ocho hitting the game winning uno dos tres.

This is the most sour I've been about a Toronto trade since Poni was dealt. I have officially become a Pistons fan for the rest of the year, and I'm really hoping they make the playoffs with Jose playing a major part in that. That would teach Colangelo. Hopefully he's fired before the draft, and maybe by some miracle Jose is signed in the offseason.

End rant.

Return to “Basketball Talk”