Does anyone want HTTPS (secure web connections)?

Have an idea for the forums? Give us your suggestions on how we can improve here!
jab16399
Prospect

Does anyone want HTTPS (secure web connections)?

Post by jab16399 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi, I tend to found on HI more often than not, but used to be quite active on SCF and have been looking to see which Hockey Card Trading sites are most active these days. One thing that catches my eye is that none of the trading sites I belong too support secure web browsing. I know this is optional when you are not logged in, but I am curious why more card trading sites don't support at least a limited number of HTTPS connections. I'm not saying there is anything truly private about trading hockey cards, but what is the downside of supporting it?
Thanks,
Jim

Stryfex
Semistar
Canada

Re: Does anyone want HTTPS (secure web connections)?

Post by Stryfex » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:39 pm

I imagine they don't want to pay for the certs (and in many cases may not have the technical expertise in implementing them)

jab16399
Prospect

Post by jab16399 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:25 pm

If I recall correctly, a self-signed cert/cacert is easy enough to create if you are the server admin and it is Linux/UNIX server. I've not done it on Windows though. It would mean accepting that exception the browsers pop up to say it is a self-signed cert, but it used to work. If the site admin wanted a script to do it, I could send something in. PM me if interested. Security is rarely a bad idea these days IMHO.
Thanks,
Jim

JTtheIT
Prospect
Turkey

Post by JTtheIT » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:33 pm

jab16399 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:25 pm
If I recall correctly, a self-signed cert/cacert is easy enough to create if you are the server admin and it is Linux/UNIX server. I've not done it on Windows though. It would mean accepting that exception the browsers pop up to say it is a self-signed cert, but it used to work. If the site admin wanted a script to do it, I could send something in. PM me if interested. Security is rarely a bad idea these days IMHO.
Thanks,
Jim
:) Thank you for the suggestion.

As the IT, one of the first things I setup was SSL but I wasn't forcing it other than on login pages and checkout/cart pages on our online store. The forums are now forced through HTTPS and all connections are encrypted. Note however, on some pages, images are loaded in with http(people's posts for example), your browser may complain but do not worry your connection is still encrypted.

:cheers:

Return to “Board Improvements & Suggestions”