eBay Assistance - US Sellers Won't Ship to CANADA? - UPDATED

Want to plug something of yours? Have any questions with eBay, Paypal, etc.. Post it here.
bqaggie

Member of the Year
Medals: 8
eBay ID: bqaggie
United States of America

eBay Assistance - US Sellers Won't Ship to CANADA? - UPDATED

Post by bqaggie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 pm

NEW PRICES as of April 26, 2016!! Please be aware of new postal increase!

I have had a large number of people recently asking me to help them out on eBay, so I feel it's necessary to post this as a "sticky note" for everyone's benefit.

More often we're seeing a trend of US-based sellers refusing to conduct business with anyone outside of the United States. The most obvious reason for this is due to the fact that packages cannot be tracked cross-border in a budget-friendly manner. Shipping cross-border (or overseas) is expensive...and the USA recently experienced a Postal Rate increase. Everyone must realize this.

Another reason why sellers are refusing to send to Canada is the alarming amount of claims of items not being delivered. Some claims are legitimate, most are not. Since there is no way to track the items cross-border, some scheming collectors will purchase a card, claim they never received it, and thus try anything and everything they can to get their payment refunded by PayPal...in essence getting a "free" card out of the deal. Everyone is well aware of the protection policies eBay/PayPal have set forth for buyers, so little is done to protect the sellers.

Also, one of the final reasons why US-based sellers are refusing to sell to Canada is a simple matter of convenience. If I sell something within the contiguous 50 states, I can sit at my computer and print out a shipping label via PayPal shipping, and it's cheaper than what I would pay at the PO, and online tracking is included. Once I slap the label on the bubbler, I simply drop it off in my mailbox for pick-up. I don't have to go anywhere to mail it. Cheap & easy...the way we Americans like it. ;-)

However, the problem in all of that lies in the simple fact that if US-based sellers refuse to sell to Canada, especially for hockey cards, they lose out on potentially bigger & better sales to a more hockey-mad community. (not always the case, but true for the most part)

So, this all being said, and since I love this community and want everyone to have the same chances as everyone else, I offer my services:

If you happen to see an auction on eBay that you want to win, and the seller does not ship to Canada, then please alert me. I will try to help you out as best as I can. But, you will need to adhere to some guidelines that I have set forth.
  • 1.) In order for me to help you, I ask that you have a solid reputation on here, or another trading/business forum. (eBay.ca, Hobby Insider, Sports Card Forum) I want to be able to see what kind of a member I will be assisting. **Sorry but I will NOT accept YouTube as "credibility"**

2.) PM me with the auction link, and include the MAX BID amount you are willing to go. Keep in mind that you will also need to factor in what the seller is charging for shipping, AND what it will cost for ME to ship it to YOU. (Case in point, you "win" an auction for $25. If seller charges $2.50 for S&H, then it costs me $6.55 at minimum to ship to CAN, then we're already at around $35. PLEASE KEEP THAT INFO IN MIND.)

3.) I will need to be paid via PayPal IMMEDIATELY upon winning the auction. I am offering a service for YOU...thus I will NOT be dipping into my own funds for any auctions that are not my own. Failure to comply with this, or failure to alert me as to how long it will take you to pay (as most sellers require payment within 3-5 days, and I will require you to comply within the same) will result in immediate BAN...no questions asked.

4.) As far as Payments are concerned. PayPal is the ONLY method of payment...period. (US funds) You can do this one of 2 ways. Since you will be responsible for any and all fees, you will need to either factor into account the associated PayPal fees and include those with the payment (otherwise it taps into my funds) or send as "GIFT." **This is the only way that GIFT payments will be allowed/conducted on this forum.**

5.) I will impose a limit of $100 on any item. This is to protect both of us. I want to make sure it's a value that BOTH of us can afford, thus avoiding any potential problems with payment. (If I know you, or if you have a lengthy, impeccable history, then I will waive the $100 rule, but that will all be discussed should you find something you need)

6.) Remain patient. This goes without question. Once an item is paid for, I must wait for the item to ship to me. THEN, and only then can I ship it to you, and cross-border packages take anywhere between 2-4 weeks for delivery...so patience is of the utmost request. I will conduct a video, for your reference, as well as scan the customs receipt to show that it has been shipped via USPS.
So, those are the policies that I will set forth should you need any help with eBay auctions. You are free to deal with anyone who will help you, if you feel my policies are too strict or if you have someone else you deal with. When it comes to eBay assistance, since all business is conducted off of the C&C forums/boards, WE AS A MOD TEAM CANNOT HELP YOU should you fall victim to a scam. That's why I have set forth these policies, and offering my services, for your benefit.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I have done this in the past with a plethora of members, and have never had a problem. For references on whom I have helped: S4Kh4r0v, andjosaus, AlexTheGr8, puckyou, Pyromaniac42...among many others.
I COLLECT: Modano, Seguin, Benn, Jack Johnson
CLICK TO FOLLOW: YouTube / Twitter / My Bucket
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

urbanmonk

Member of the Year
Medals: 2
eBay ID: tccurbanmonk
United States of America

Re: eBay Assistance - US Sellers Won't Ship to CANADA?

Post by urbanmonk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm

That is the problem with not being able to track economically out of the US as it's almost $30 for an envelope that way. I found out I was missing out on getting more for my cards because Hockey not as popular in the States so less folks to bid against each other. I stuck with North America only later, but would ship overseas if they contacted me first and my gut said it was ok. Postage rates went way up (more than typical for an increase), so it can put a damper on my trading or selling lower end cards. I have helped a few folks here with same thing, but not able to risk it at the moment due to financial uncertainty for the time being (though still would for those I have). That and I'm still getting to know folks on this site as more time/experience with another site. It's a two way street though as some don't like to ship this way either, just not as prominent as can track going this way a whole lot cheaper in comparison.
It's a bummer it is coming to that, but dishonest folks mess things up for the rest of us. And Paypal/Ebay will usually side with the buyer in most cases even if there is a trend starting to form, one nice thing about sites same as here is the Moderators can see a pattern and nip it in the bud faster before they take a bunch of people. Just like group breaks used to be allowed on various sites and it got out of hand and it wasn't allowed anymore or is more restricted/controlled (way too many "train wreck" breakers).
PC Modano Want list, Have List for FB PC, and Trade Lists: http://urbanmonkscards.weebly.com/

Main focus in Hockey is Mike Modano, have 1,402 of the 5,035 listed on Beckett

AlexTheGr8

Member of the Year
Veteran
Medals: 3
eBay ID: dude0100

Post by AlexTheGr8 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 pm

On the other end of the spectrum, I have helped out a couple of American members that need this type of assistance. American members, just give me a shout if this happens to you. My rules are the same as bqaggie's.

Alex
2013 CnC Fantasy Hockey League Champion
I collect:
Image (No Multi Player Cards)
Alex Pietrangelo PC: 321/358 90% Trade List

DSL
Listed Star
eBay ID: 89dsl03

Post by DSL » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 am

This is really kind and helpful, big props. Just one question, would you ship overseas to Europe also?

bqaggie

Member of the Year
Medals: 8
eBay ID: bqaggie
United States of America

Post by bqaggie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:07 am

DSL wrote:This is really kind and helpful, big props. Just one question, would you ship overseas to Europe also?
Yes, provided proper shipping to you was included. I would ship anywhere.
I COLLECT: Modano, Seguin, Benn, Jack Johnson
CLICK TO FOLLOW: YouTube / Twitter / My Bucket
Samuel - SITE MODERATOR

Return to “Your eBay Auctions / Youtube Channel / FAQ's”